Skip to main content

At/on/in - time


Compare at, on and in:
  • They arrived at 5 o'clock.
  • They arrived on Friday.
  • They arrived in October or in 1998.
We use at for the time of day:
  • at five o'clock
  • at 11.45
  • at midnight
  • at lunchtime
  • at sunset
We use on for days and dates:
  • on Friday/Fridays
  • on 16 May 2009
  • on Christmas day
  • on my birthday
We use in for longer periods, for example: months/years/seasons
  • in October
  • in 1998
  • in the 18th century
  • in the past
  • in (the) winter
  • in the 1980s
  • in the Middle Ages
  • in (the) future
We use at in these expressions:
  • at night - I don't like working at night
  • at the weekend/ at weekends - Will you be here at the weekend?
  • at Christmas - Do you give each other presents at Christmas?
  • at the moment / at present - The manager isn't here at the moment/ at present.
  • at the same time - Kate and I arrived at the same time.
We say:
  • in the morning(s) - but on Friday morning(s)
  • in the afternoon(s) - but on Sunday afternoon(s)
  • in the evening(s) -  but on Monday evening(s)
  • I'll see you in the morning - but I'll see you on the Friday morning
  • Do you work in the evenings? - but Do yo work on Saturday mornings? 
We do not use at/on/in before last/next/this/every
  • I'll see next Friday (not on next Friday)
  • The got married last March.
In spoken English we often leave out on before days (Sunday/Monday etc.). So we can say:
  • I'll see you on Friday or I'll see you Friday.
  • I don't work on Monday mornings. or I don't work Monday mornings.
In a few minutes / in six months etc.
  • The train will be leaving in a few minutes. (= a few minutes from now)
  • Andy has gone away. He'll be back in a week. (= a week from now)
  • They'll be here in a moment. (a moment from now)
We can also say: in six months' time or in a week's time etc.
  • They're getting married in six months' time / in six months.
We also use in ... to say how long it takes to do something:
  • I learnt to drive in four weeks. (= It took me four weeks to learn to drive)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog